This book is a sequel to an earlier volume by the same authors on Anglican church-building in Greater London between 1915 and 1945. In the post-war period as many as 250 new churches were built inthe area, a very large corpus of work which has been largely overlooked by commentators.
The Institute of British Architects was established in 1834 with the published aim of establishing uniformity in the profession, yet, for the each of the eight architects included in this book, architectural practice involved a different set of principles and activities.
A splendidly comprehensive account of the country houses in the western half of Dorset, which accompanies the author's previous acclaimed volume on the houses of the eastern part of the county. West Dorset presents a contrast with its intimate valleys and hidden houses.