The Smyrna Quay (Greek language edition): Tracing a symbol of progress and splendour
Two-volume set. Original research using new techniques presents the buildings of the legendary Ottoman port-city (modern-day Izmir) as a continuous architectural and historical ensemble. Includes architectural plans and reconstructions as well as photographs and photomosaics. Foreword by Philip Mansel. 618 illus. Greek/English parallel text.
This book aims to present the buildings of this legendary narrow strip of land on the waterfront of the Ottoman port-city of Smyrna (modern-day Izmir) as a continuous architectural and historical ensemble. The authors have used literature, commercial and travel guides, maps and postcards, as well as computer tools, in order to digitally restore the facades of all buildings of the Smyrna Quay to their original appearance. These reconstructed images form the core of this book.
In the 47 years which passed from its completion in 1875 to September 1922, the Quay became the most famous icon of Smyrna, a synonym of the progress, cosmopolitanism and wealth of its inhabitants. The hundreds of Quay postcards that exist depict grand mansions, theatres, cafes, consulates, clubs and hotels, as well as administration buildings, depots and agencies. . . all edifices of public and private life in an Anatolian city where the west wind blew strongly for centuries. The illustrations and drawings of the book are complemented with text and material that shed light on the Quay's history.
Foreword by Philip Mansel, a well-known British historian and author of many books about the rise and fall of the Ottoman Empire. Original research using new techniques shows Smyrna's Quay as it was. Illustrations include architectural plans and reconstructions as well as photographs and photomosaics.